Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Easter TIME!

Easter is an interesting time of year for me. My mother passed away on Good Friday and I couldn't help but ponder the coincidence of her passing. She had sacrificed her family to come live in the United States and raise my brother and I. I now appreciate her sacrifice more than ever and even own a pendant in honor of her. The story of the resurrection is often debated and misinterpreted.
I was watching some sermons on television Easter morning and couldn't help but notice a couple of good ones.
The pastor was talking about the importance of Easter and the validity of the story. He went on to make the observation that every person in this country recognizes the story of the resurrection throughout everyday of their lives. How you ask?
By looking at the date or day of week. Our calendar is based on this act. We believe this is the beginning of "time" and mark it as AD. (After Death) We consider all of time before this event as BC (Before Christ).

I thought this was a very interesting observation and it made me appreciate the story of our most popular maker even more. It reminded me how important it is to give thanks on a daily basis for our blessings and live life to the fullest. I could now tie the Date with my opportunity to express my gratitude.

The second sermon was regarding how we should live our lives. The pastor said that there seems to be too much emphasis on living a "humble" and mediocre life when translating the Bible. He went on to say that this was not a teaching of the Bible and that our maker wants us to maximize our lives in every way. This would include our wealth, resources, happiness, family, love, fellowship, etc.....

Again, we only have so much time on this planet, let's make the best of it while we're here in all facets of life. We should pursue joy and not have any regrets or reservations due to other people's sentiments. Just make sure we shine our light on others as we move through time....

No comments: