Monday, March 17, 2008

Marriage and Kids.....do we need them?

I was talking with a fellow parent this week about raising kids when it made me think about their role in this world.  
Have you ever thought what would the world be like with no kids?  What about without marriage?  
Do we need either to enjoy our lives and live to the fullest?  
Many people are single today and some have kids and some don't.  I'm not sure there are any studies that indicate either one is happier than the other.  
Now I have read studies that married couples are happier, have more sex, memories, vacations, etc......but that's another story.  
Do you think we as humans were designed to be single or married?  Are we supposed to have kids or not?  Is the idea of staying with one mate our entire life outrageous?  

Many people that are married with kids often think about what it would be like without them and many singles wonder about marriage and kids.  There's a movie out there that touches on the topic with great comedy yet impact.  Nicolas Cage and Tea Leoni star in it, The Family Man.  If you haven't rented it, please do.  

I personally can't imagine life without my wife and kids.  Sure it gets stressful and is full of responsibilities and sacrifices.  Fortunately for me, my wife shares my values for family and purpose.  My legacy includes my wife and children and hopefully I can provide them with plenty of content for future discussions and words of wisdom once I leave this earth.  

Either way, married or single, parent or not, go out there and leave your legacy for your families and friends.   At the end of the day, JOY is what we want and may find it in mysterious places.  We may find it in solitude, or in crowds or groups.  
At the end of the day, if you don't look for and pursue it, you many not ever find it. 


No comments: