Sunday, February 17, 2008

Shine Your Light...

I attended a memorial service this weekend for a friend that passed away due to colon cancer. As I listened to friends and family give testimony to his accomplishments, I took note of what what was most important. He was a great husband, father, brother, son, brother in law, and co worker.
They told stories and shared memories of "highlights" in his life. Stories about every day things like holiday preparation, vacations, home projects, volunteering, offering assistance, etc.
There were some things that were not mentioned at all. What type of car he drove, what clothes he wore, the type of house he lived in, etc....
Another reminder that material things are simply not important in the end.

There were many pictures of him in these various roles layed out for all to see. Many in attendance only knew him from one avenue and were intrigued to learn more about the man that so many revered.
Thank goodness someone took the time to take pictures. That's an important note to all, get a digital camera and take it everywhere you go. Take pictures of anything you consider a special moment. Make some memories that can be shared with others.
As I reviewed the pictures, I stopped and admired the smile on his face, the family, background of the moment, how happy they were, how time seemed to stop for that one moment.

At the end of the service as I left the church, I thought about my own life. What would people say about me? What would I want them to say about me?
One speaker mentioned that the Bible says we're to shine our own light on others. I think that's a great proposition. Shine more light on others and make a difference in other lives. How simple yet vital.

In the end, that's the legacy we should all leave. While we are here, we make a positive difference in other people's lives and the world a better place.

No comments: