Saturday, May 24, 2008

Close to Home....

While at work this week, my phone rang.  When I answered it, my wife was hysterical on the other end.  My immediate thought was that something bad had happened to one of my kids.  
She then proceeded to tell me that one of my close friends had fallen off a roof and had been taken to a hospital where he was going to have brain surgery and they didn't know if he would make it.  
I immediately got in my car and went straight to the hospital.  It was true.  He was in surgery and they were performing brain surgery on him to repair his fractured skull and stop the bleeding.  They weren't sure he was going to make it.  
The Neurosurgeon came out to brief us after the surgery.  He didn't know the extent of the damage.  We would need to wait and see "who" would come out of this.  His awkward statement indicated that there was a chance there could be some physical or mental impairment.  

I was able to visit him that night and see his injuries first hand.  I was scared.  All I wanted was for God to give him a chance.  Let him live and begin the recovery process.  I prayed for his health and asked God to heal his injuries, give him strength, courage, and time.  

Over the past couple of days, I've been visiting my friend and his condition seems to be improving.  I continue to pray for a full recovery and thank God for every blessing. 

I've been thinking about my own mortality even more this week.  I hope it subsides with time. 
I want my friend to come out of this tragedy with his health.  I want him to return to his daily blessings.  

I personally want to come out of this tragedy with more appreciation for my own daily blessings.  Friends, good times, family,  etc.  

Please pray for my friend and everyone who needs strength, faith, and healing.  
Please count your blessings.  There are many.  We just need to open our eyes and see them in front of us.  

  






No comments: