Sunday, July 6, 2008

Vacations and Family

I recently took a vacation with my wife and kids. We decided to visit a resort in Texas where we would spend quality time with each other in lieu of one that was based on amusement and entertainment like Disneyworld. Don't get me wrong, we love Disneyworld and going there.
I just thought we needed some time together. My three kids are so active that like most families, we spend our days going from one activity to another for each of them without much time for the family unit as a whole.
This vacation was meant to isolate us and not have to worry about commitments or distractions. My cell phone and laptop could not maintain a signal so work was put on "hold".

I love Austin, Texas. I graduated from the University of Texas at Austin and lived there for about 5 years. The first day included a visit to one of it's more popular summer attractions. Barton Springs.
My wife and kids spent some time in the cold natural waters while I took pictures from the surrounding mounds. We drove around campus and shared some memories with the kids so they would always have an understanding of our pre-family times and our youth.
The rest of our visit included a lazy river, movies by the pool side, horseback riding, and river rafting. We had a great time.

I think we all should take a time out and eliminate distractions from our core. There is nothing more important than our relationships. Too often we ignore this in the pursuit of what we perceive to be important.
Reach out to your loved ones and reconnect. Spend quality time with them. If you have kids or a significant other with reservations, MAKE them do it. You will not regret it.

No comments: